Ever since I was a little kid, I loved when my mom would make meatloaf. She used beef to make her meatloaf, paired it with veggies, mashed potatoes, and drizzled brown gravy on top. YUM RIGHT!!?
Now as an adult in the health and wellness industry, I tend to be picker with how I feed my body. No offense to my amazing mom but her meatloaf and mashed potatoes aren’t the best choice for someone trying to lose weight or maintaining a low-carb diet. But I’ve got GOOD NEWS for you. You can still have a delicious meatloaf but a skinnier more lean version! I like to pair my meatloaf with green beans and riced cauliflower. You can even make whipped cauliflower as a mashed potato substitute. You can barely tell the difference! I’m excited to share with you all my Shaylean’s Skinny Turkey Meatloaf…..it’s mouth-watering good!
My Meatloaf Variations
- Use ground turkey instead of beef for less calories and more flavor.
- Make it low-carb or grain-free. Replace the breadcrumbs for equal amounts of almond meal or gluten free rolled oats.
- Italian Flair: My favorite!! Use Italian breadcrumbs instead of plain breadcrumbs for more seasoning and if you aren’t worried about carbs or gluten.
- Smokey Flavor: Swap the ketchup for BBQ Sauce
- Make it juicier. Use 93% lean for a juicier turkey meatloaf.
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (may need more)
- 1/2 small minced onion
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp organic ketchup
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1.3 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs or almond meal
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 400 degrees F to cook faster.
- In a small bowl mix 2 tablespoons of organic ketchup with 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce. Set aside (I like to put it in the refrigerator for 5 minutes).
- In a small pan on the stove top, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon of garlic and 1/2 minced onion on low heat until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes, remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl combine the turkey, onion, breadcrumbs or almond meal, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup of organic ketchup or BBQ sauce, kosher salt, and 1 teaspoon of marjoram.
- Place mixture into a loaf pan and spoon sauce (Ketchup & Worcestershire) on top evenly.
- Bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes, remove from oven and let it sit for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Serve and enjoy!