If you’re searching for that one person that will change your life, take a look in the mirror.
It’s Valentine’s Day, the holiday dedicated to LOVE. On this day everyone excessively celebrates the love for their spouses, partners, and or sweethearts. Those three little words are uttered more times on February 14th than any other day of the year. I remember when I was a kid, we used to do candy grams for everyone in the class. Boy, did I hope to receive a special candy gram from a crush! Sometimes not receiving those candy grams, flowers, and/or chocolates can be a huge letdown. So, what about learning to love ourselves so we don’t let other’s actions affect our well-being? Love should be something we practice on a daily basis.
I’m sure you have heard that saying, “To love others, you must first love yourself.”
Self-love is important to living a happy and healthy lifestyle. People who learn to love themselves typically experience better self-growth, fulfillment in life, and have healthier relationships with others. This Valentine’s Day, I’m sharing 5 easy ways to learn to love yourself whether you’re single, taken and or “it’s complicated.”
- Give yourself a compliment! Say or write down something positive you see in yourself every day. “You look beautiful today!”
- List off the things you’re grateful for every day. i.e. Health, Family, job, etc.
- Take care of your body by nourishing it with good foods and lots of water. Also, find an exercise activity you enjoy and do it!
- Practice feeling comfortable with saying no to the things that cause you to stress and or have anxiety. Set boundaries and say no to the things you genuinely do not want to do.
- Treat yourself! It’s okay to buy yourself fresh flowers, scented candles, or that cute top you’ve been eyeing. I love the movies and tend to treat myself to one here and there. It feels good to be content sitting and enjoying no one’s company but your own.