If you follow me on Instagram ( @Shaysdayys ) you probably have noticed I have been cooking up a storm in my stories! I was given a crockpot for Christmas and I have to say it’s hands down the best gift ever! Since it’s “Taco Tuesday” I wanted to share my healthy, flavorful, and simple chicken taco recipe with you all. With that being said, you’re going to need a CROCKPOT and 8 hours till dinner time!
It’s not always easy to maintain a healthy diet when it comes to eating Mexican food. However, I liked to say I pulled it off with this recipe. I paired my chicken tacos with the following toppings: organic black beans, shredded lettuce, fresh cilantro, tomatoes, diced onions, limes, brown rice, and my favorite AVOCADOS! I use corn tortillas for my taco shells which are gluten-free as well.
- 2 to 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Olive Oil
- Minced garlic
- 1 white onion
- Onion powder
- Ground cumin
- Mild taco seasoning mix
- Bragg liquid aminos not so much for flavor but to help break up the chicken (gluten free and a natural soy sauce alternative)
- Hunts fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Corn tortillas
Toppings: shredded lettuce, cilantro, limes, tomatoes, onions, avocado, black beans, and brown rice.
How To Make It:
- First you want to sauté some minced garlic and chopped white onions with olive oil in a pan on the stove top for about 5-10 minutes until onions are tender.
- Season the chicken in a bowl on both sides with onion powder, ground cumin, mild taco seasoning mix, and pepper.
- Put the sautéed onions in the crockpot first.
- Add the seasoned chicken and fire roasted diced tomatoes.
- 5-10 sprays of Bragg Liquid Aminos (soy sauce alternative) not so much for flavor but to help break up the chicken and make it more tender!
- Pour 1 cup chicken broth over seasoned chicken in the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred chicken to serve.
- Add your toppings and enjoy!