And, p.s. ladies, all of these are safe during pregnancy.
Finding clean and results-driven beauty products that keep my face glowing and free from breakouts is something I have always been super passionate about.
FACT: Some of you may already know that I teach Pilates and Barre classes for a living. So, I personally don’t wear makeup when I work out or while I teach my classes because I sweat–A LOT!
Why is wearing makeup while working out a bad habit?!
Like me, if you frequent your dermatologist, they have probably told you that makeup and sweat do not mix well. Even if you don’t see a dermatologist, I’m sure you’ve heard it from your Mother. This is especially true if the makeup combines with dirt and sweat and then it sits on your face after a workout. Not washing your face immediately after a workout is worse than wearing makeup during a workout. Why?
This is because letting this gross cocktail remain on your face after a workout will prevent your pores from breathing and cause bacteria which leads to acne.
I love packing these wipes in my gym bag to remove my makeup before a workout. If you don’t have time to remove your makeup before your workout, use them after to cleanse and hydrate skin!
Fun Shay Fact: I have always been passionate about skincare and even wanted to be an esthetician before I found my love for teaching fitness.Shaylene Benson
My A.M. Regimen
- Eye Cream
- I start my day with alternating between two of my favorite gentle products: If I am in a hurry, I put a few drops of Bioderma Sensibio H2O Soothing Micellar Cleansing Water on a cotton pad to cleanse my face. If I need an extra pick me up in the morning by jumping in the shower, I use La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Cleanser. A gentle cleanser will protect your natural skin barrier and get the job done!
- After I cleanse my face, I use a toner to minimize pores, remove excess oil, and soften my skin. I moisten a cotton pad with Dickinson’s Original Witch Hazel Pore Perfecting Toner, 100% Natural.
- To protect my skin against environmental damage, brighten my complexion, and improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, I use my FAVORITE vitamin C serum Skinceuticals C E Ferulic.
- After my vitamin C serum, I use hyaluronic acid serum to hydrate and plump my skin. You won’t need botox when you try this serum!
- I moisturize with Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Hyaluronic Acid which is lightweight and very hydrating for the skin.
- My second to the last step is to help any undereye puffiness with 100% Pure Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream.
- My last step and most important is my essential oil-free, fragrance-free and pore-clearing sunscreen EltaMD UV Clear Facial Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 46.
My P.M. Regimen
- Double Cleanse
- Retinol/Treatment Serums
- Eye Cream
- I double cleanse at night! I start with Bioderma Sensibio H2O Soothing Micellar Cleansing Water on a cotton pad. My nighttime go-to cleanser is the Beste™ No. 9 Jelly Cleanser from Drunk Elephant. This cleanser removes all traces of makeup, excess oil, pollution, and grime.
- On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I love using Elizabeth Arden Skin Illuminating Retexturizing Pads to clear, brighten, and smooth the texture of my skin. It’s like an at-home spa treatment! On the other days, I use Dickinson’s Original Witch Hazel Pore Perfecting Toner, 100% Natural.
- Note: not a natural beauty product but I do have an alternative suggested! I do use a topical treatment cream called Tretinoin cream 0.05% prescribed by my dermatologist to treat acne and reduce the appearance of wrinkles. ***For those that are looking for a natural retinol alternative, I highly recommend Herbivore bakuchiol natural retinol alternative serum. I have used it before instead of my Tretinoin cream when my skin was feeling a little dried out. I also plan to use it when my Tretinoin cream is off the table during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- I put on my go-to moisturizer Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Hyaluronic Acid.
- I finish with my trusty eye cream 100% Pure Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream!
EXTRAS: Use a jade roller after you wash your face to decrease puffiness, under-eye circles, and minimize the appearance of fine lines. I keep mine in the refrigerator to boost the power of de-puffing!
All products listed except Tretinoin cream are safe during pregnancy and while you breastfeed. Remember, everyone’s skin is different and what I use might not work for you.
If you are battling cystic acne you may want to consider a few of the following suggestions that aren’t natural or organic but do fight against hormonal breakouts:
- Try washing your face with salicylic acid to dive deep into congested skin to relieve clogged pores, blackheads, and bacteria.
- Ask your dermatologist about spironolactone. A water pill that prevents hormonal breakouts.
- Use a clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel to apply to the skin to treat pimples.
- Schedule a monthly microdermabrasion facial to renew overall skin tone and texture. Microdermabrasion is a minimally invasive procedure to improve skin from acne and acne scars.
I do a lot of research on good skincare and always test the product before sharing it on my blog. I truly believe in all the products listed and encourage you to research the products I shared if you’re interested in trying them out. I hope enjoyed this blog post and try these amazing beauty products and tips out for yourself!